Top picks for Home Gym essentials
January 23, 2017
January 23, 2017
Each year the prices for gym memberships go up. Some gyms or studios can cost as much as $200 per month depending on the type of gym and the location. That price usually does not include extras like personal training or group training. We have put together our list of the most budget friendly and essential home gym equipment so that you can get fit from home at a fraction of the cost.
- Dumbbells – These are one of the cheapest things you can buy that will create the essential at home gym set up. Having a few sets of dumbbells of varying weights can completely transform your workout. As your strength grows you can purchase higher weights. We like these Neoprene coated dumbbells from Walmart. They are a great price to get you started. Want something a little more substantial, try these rubber coated Hex Dumbbells.
- Yoga ball / Balance ball – These handy stability balls can be used for many different things. From a bench press to core work and even used as a seat at your desk, these balls are probably the most versatile of the gym equipment. When selecting the one that is right for you, make sure to check the sizing tools on the box for your height. We are currently crushing on these.
- Yoga mat – While not everyone needs a yoga mat, it is for far more than just Yoga. This thin piece of rolled out foam can help keep sweaty hands from slipping during pushups, soften the hard floor on your back during sit ups and it can help protect floors from dropping weights. One mat we really like is here.
- Resistance bands – We love resistance bands. Unlike dumbbells, resistance bands do not rely on gravity to create resistance. This makes it possible to change the emphasis placed on the muscle during certain exercises. The double bonus for resistance bands is how easily they travel. They are lightweight and small enough to fit in a medium bag or easily go in a carry-on bag during travel. A great set to have is here.
- Jump rope – While jumping rope is a great cardiovascular workout it will also take you back to your childhood, playing on the playground with your classmates. This small piece of equipment can be used indoors when the elements are not in your favor and then outside for some fresh air if it peaks your fancy. Jump ropes are also extremely travel friendly. You can find a good one here.
- gymGO live virtual training – There is always a positive to having a live person there to help guide and motivate you during your workout. For the cost of a trip out to lunch one day you can get live virtual training anywhere you are. With classes ranging from nutrition to HIIT and even kickboxing, there is always something to do and someone on the other side of your screen to help motivate you to live during your workouts. There is even a free app so not having a computer or tablet will not stop you. It is an easy to use 2-way live video platform at your fingertips. Right now you can even try it out at no cost to you. The first 1000 to sign up will get 20 free credits to try out any session you would like.
If you have a little money left over and want to make your home gym really sparkle but still keep it simple, these items will really step that home gym up a notch.
- Bosu balance board – Adding the element of balance to your moves will really wake up that core. It can be used for planks and squats making balance a lot harder, or flip it over for more range of motion in your sit ups. These DIY – design it yourself Bosu’s can really brighten up a room.
- TRX suspension system – This suspension device is an investment but it’s ability to completely transform your normal routine is outstanding. It can be great for beginners with less range of motion giving a little extra assistance in your moves or make things more difficult for the more advanced by adding some extra elements of gravity to the workout. Grab yours from here.
- Weight bench – The weight bench is a simple accessory that when added to your home gym can really help. We like the way this one can change into multiple benches and be used for chest press, military press and even incline abs.
- Barbell and weight plates – A barbell gives you the stabilization you need for strong joints and muscles. And as you get stronger you will need more weight plates to add difficulty to your workouts. We think this set will be great.
- Wireless speakers – A great workout is not complete without some good motivating music. Studies show that upbeat music during an intense workout will help motivate you to reach that number and push harder through the moves. We love this one.
For the cost of the big gym’s start up fees and first months dues, you can have a great start to your own home gym. Whether it is packed in a corner of your house or has it’s own room, any home gym equipment is well worth it’s weight. Join us in making 2017 the best year yet.
What is your favorite home gym piece? Tell us below in the comments.
- How to Spot Upsell Opportunities for Online Training with Existing Clients
- How to Gain New Clients Via Organic Referral by Way of Online Training
- How to Promote Personal and Online Training Services on Instagram
- How to Create Your Own Web App for Online Training in 5 Minutes
- How to Announce to Existing Clients that You Offer Online Training